What is Tablet?
A tablet represents a portable mobile computer that uses a touchscreen as its primary input device and has a size between a laptop computer and a smartphone. It is designed to be held in one or two hands slightly smaller, and weighs less than the average laptop.
With the advancements in technology, tablets are getting more and more multifunctional and efficient. Today, these devices can perform most of the tasks that were initially the domain of computers only. Owing to their outstanding features and easy portability, tablets are witnessing ever-growing popularity and expansion across global markets. One of the best features tablets offer is their ability to work as e-readers. In other words, tablets are handy when you frequently read office documents or study notes. Most online publications and papers with text, images, and other graphics are available in PDFs.
Apart from reading, most tablets can be used for watching movies, listening to music, browsing, etc. Depending upon your suitability and needs, you can opt for an all-purpose tablet or predominantly an e-reader. While many tablets are available in the market, some are more effective e-readers than others.
What are the best tablets for reading pdf files?
Based on popularity and customer reviews, the best tablets for PDF reading in the US include:
- Apple iPad – iPads are known for their high-quality display and user-friendly interface, making them popular for reading PDFs.
- Samsung Galaxy Tab – Samsung Galaxy tablets offer a variety of screen sizes and features, making them a versatile choice for PDF reading.
- Amazon Kindle Fire – Although primarily marketed as an e-reader, the Amazon Kindle Fire can also be used for PDF reading and has a long battery life.
- Microsoft Surface – The Microsoft Surface tablets offer a range of features, including a stylus and detachable keyboard, making them a popular choice for professionals who need to annotate or edit PDFs.
- Google Pixel Slate – The Google Pixel Slate offers a high-resolution display and runs on the Chrome OS, making it a good choice for users who prefer Google’s ecosystem.
My best tablet for reading PDF files is Amazon Kindle Fire because of the low price of just $164 on Amazon.
If you are looking for a tablet mainly for reading purposes, you need to consider a few factors while selecting the right tablet for yourself. In this article, you learn about the important parameters to check before buying a tablet and a brief overview of the top 3 tablets.
What features should a tablet have in 2023?
- High-resolution display: Tablets should have high-resolution displays, ideally with OLED or Micro-LED technology, to ensure sharp and clear visuals.
- 5G connectivity: 5G is likely to become more widespread by 2023, and tablets should have this capability to ensure fast and reliable internet connectivity.
- More powerful processors: Tablets should have powerful processors to enable smooth multitasking and seamless performance of high-end applications.
- Longer battery life: Tablets should have a long battery life, ideally lasting up to 10 hours or more, to ensure uninterrupted usage.
- Improved cameras: Tablets should have high-quality cameras, including front-facing and rear-facing cameras, for video calls, photography, and videography.
- Better audio: Tablets should have high-quality speakers and audio output and the ability to support external audio devices such as headphones.
- Larger storage capacity: Tablets should have ample storage capacity, with the option to expand through external or cloud storage devices.
- Lightweight and slim design: Tablets should be light and thin, making them portable and easy to carry.
- Enhanced security features: Tablets should have enhanced security features, including biometric authentication, to protect user data and privacy.
- Compatibility with smart home devices: Tablets should have compatibility with smart home devices, allowing users to control their home automation systems through their tablets.
Although you can read PDFs across several devices, tablets lend much greater convenience than others. For example, smartphones don’t offer a bigger screen for easy readability, whereas PCs/laptops are cumbersome. In this scenario, tablets appear to be an affordable and best intermediate solution.
So, to purchase a tablet for personal or professional reading, you must look for a few ordinary things to make it worthwhile. Glimpse through the essential features to check in a tablet:
- Screen Size
When you get a tablet for viewing eBooks and PDFs, screen size becomes a crucial consideration as it determines the effectiveness and comfort of the activity. Tablets are available in many sizes, and a large screen size enhances your reading experience. While the exact size you want depends on your preferences, it is recommended to go for a tablet with a screen size of 8-10 inches. These devices are optimally sized between a computer and a smartphone.
- Storage Capacity
A good tablet can hold all the PDFs and similar files you wish to access. Even though eBook formats do not consume much space, having decent storage memory is better if you want to save sufficient files. An average reader requires at least 32GB of storage on their tablet. The latest tablets come in a memory range of as little as 4GB to the maximum expandable storage of 512 GB.
- Battery Life
If you spent adequate time with your tablet, you would want it to stay charged for an entire day. While different tablets come with varying lives of battery, you should preferably find one with a minimum 10-hour battery duration.
In addition to the above factors, you may want to gauge the other features of the tablets, like operating systems, available apps, Wi-Fi connectivity, camera, etc.
Best Tablets to Read PDFs: Top 3 Models
The top three tablets offer different kinds of features and come with distinct strengths and weaknesses. Given below is a brief description of the best tablets, along with their pros and cons:
Amazon Kindle Fire
- Amazon Kindle Fire price in 2023 is a minimum of $164 up to $350. It is affordable because The Amazon Kindle Fire is a budget-friendly tablet, making it accessible to a broader audience.
- Integration with Amazon ecosystem: The Kindle Fire is designed to work seamlessly with Amazon’s services, including Kindle e-books, Prime Video, Amazon Music, and Alexa voice assistant.
- Long battery life: The Kindle Fire has a long battery life, allowing users to read, stream, and browse for several hours without recharge.
- Easy-to-use interface: The Kindle Fire has a user-friendly interface, with simple navigation and easy access to apps and content.
- Suitable for reading: The Kindle Fire is ideal for reading e-books and digital magazines, with a high-resolution display that can be adjusted to reduce eye strain.
- Parental controls: The Kindle Fire includes robust parental controls, allowing parents to limit their children’s access to certain apps, content, and features.
- Variety of apps and games: The Kindle Fire runs on the Android operating system and offers access to a wide range of apps and games, including popular titles like Netflix and Minecraft.
- Expandable storage: The Kindle Fire has a microSD card slot, allowing users to expand the device’s storage capacity.
- Support for external accessories: The Kindle Fire supports external accessories like Bluetooth headphones and speakers, making it a versatile device for media consumption.
- Good customer support: Amazon provides excellent customer support for the Kindle Fire, including technical assistance and a one-year warranty.
Apple Ipad Pro
Apple iPad Pro is an ideal choice if you want a tablet that can read PDFs and perform various other modern functions. It is an all-around tablet with multiple features and high-end functionalities. With a large-sized dazzling display and an enormous storage memory, the device serves as an excellent e-reader and gives the feel of viewing printed pages of PDFs and similar files. Listed below are the advantages and limitations of the Apple iPad Pro:
- Large, high-resolution display: The iPad Pro features a large, high-resolution display perfect for multitasking, drawing, and video editing.
- Powerful processor: The iPad Pro has a powerful A-series processor that allows for smooth and fast performance, even when running multiple apps simultaneously.
- Apple Pencil and Magic Keyboard support: The iPad Pro supports the Apple Pencil and Magic Keyboard, which can significantly enhance productivity and creative capabilities.
- Face ID: The iPad Pro features Face ID, a facial recognition system allowing quick and secure authentication.
- Dual-camera system: The iPad Pro features a dual-camera system that allows for high-quality photos and videos and augmented reality (AR) experiences.
- LiDAR scanner: The iPad Pro has a LiDAR scanner that allows for more accurate AR experiences and depth sensing.
- USB-C port: The iPad Pro features a USB-C port, allowing faster data transfer and charging.
- Long battery life: The iPad Pro has a long battery life, allowing for extended use without a recharge.
- Wide range of apps: The iPad Pro runs on iOS, which has a wide range of apps available in the App Store, including productivity, creative, and entertainment apps.
- Excellent customer support: Apple provides excellent customer support for the iPad Pro, including technical assistance, repairs, and a one-year warranty.
Samsung Galaxy Tab A8
Another good tablet for reading PDFs, Samsung Galaxy Tab A8, is reasonably priced and packed with multiple features. With optimal screen size and minimum bezel, the tablet has incredible clarity in the screen display. Tab A is very efficiently designed to utilize the entire screen surface for viewing and reading PDFs and other files. It provides 32GB of storage and perfect battery life to maintain a decent-sized e-library. Samsung Tab A is one of the best lightweight and slim-profile tablets. Glance through the plus and minus points of Samsung Galaxy Tab A8:
- 5G Connectivity: The upcoming Samsung Galaxy Tab may have 5G connectivity, allowing faster internet speeds and improved streaming capabilities.
- Foldable display: Samsung has been experimenting with foldable displays on its smartphones, and the upcoming Galaxy Tab may also feature a foldable display.
- Upgraded processor: The Galaxy Tab may have an upgraded processor, allowing faster performance and better multitasking capabilities.
- Improved camera system: The Galaxy Tab may feature an improved camera system with multiple lenses and advanced features for high-quality photos and videos.
- Larger battery: The Galaxy Tab may feature a larger battery, allowing for extended use without a recharge.
- S Pen support: Samsung may continue to offer S Pen support on its upcoming Galaxy Tab, allowing for note-taking and drawing capabilities.
- More storage: The Galaxy Tab may have more storage options, allowing users to store more apps, photos, and videos.
- Versatile device: The Galaxy Tab can be used for various tasks, including productivity, entertainment, and gaming.
- High-quality display: Samsung is known for its high-quality displays, and the Galaxy Tab is likely to feature a high-resolution screen for clear and vivid visuals.
- Good battery life: Samsung’s tablets typically have good battery life, allowing extended use without recharging.
- Expandable storage: Samsung tablets often come with a microSD card slot, allowing users to expand the device’s storage capacity.
- Wide range of apps: The Galaxy Tab runs on the Android operating system, with a wide range of apps available in the Google Play Store.
- Good customer support: Samsung provides excellent customer support for its devices, including technical assistance and repairs.
Tip for choosing the best Tablet for reading PDF
Taking care of your tablet is crucial to get the best value out of it. For instance, you can always increase your tablet’s battery life by reading eBooks and PDFs in low brightness. The less bright your screen is, the longer the battery will last. Similarly, you should avoid installing unnecessary apps to save storage space and maintain the device’s processing speed. However, keep a tab on the updates as they usually help remove bugs from the device’s software.
As for the usage, the actual functioning of tablets varies as to how you can download and open a PDF or eBook file on them. For detailed information on these operations, you may search for the relevant tutorials or refer to their official website for help.
You can buy a suitable case or screen protector for your tablet to protect it from physical damage for external maintenance. Further, the device creates problems if you leave it in direct sunlight or other extreme conditions. So, keeping it in a safe and relaxed place is better.
Reading a PDF or eBook or a document on a tablet is equivalent to reading the paper since the device is similar in size and profile to an average book. This is why people prefer tablets over smartphones and computers when it comes to reading. The models mentioned above are among the best-performing tablets in terms of value, clarity, and additional features. However, you may choose a simple e-reader or multifunctional tablet per your usage, personal preferences, and budget. Either way, these modern gadgets extend a delightful reading experience.
Lastly, the better you maintain your tablet, the more efficient and usable it will be.