If you are an android or a Chromebook user, chances that you are not aware of the Google Play Store are next to impossible. Google Play Store houses all the applications, games, ebooks, movies, and much more that you can download to your device. Some of these downloads are free, while you have to make payments for some. Making payments on the Google Play Store rewards you with Google Play Points.
Read this article to find out how you can earn these points and where these points can be used.
Google Play Points
First, you need to sign up for Play Points, which is quick and accessible for everyone to start receiving rewards. After that, whenever you purchase on the Google Play Store, be it an ebook, movie, game, or in-app purchase, you will get rewarded with Google Play Points. You can use these points to make in-app purchases or get discounts on other purchases.
The number of points you earn for each dollar you spend depends on your level. Google Play Store has set different levels for its users, depending upon how much they spend and earn through the store. The more you spend, the more points you will make, and hence, your level increases.
The following are different levels of Google Play Points and the benefits you get with each group.
- Bronze Level: This is the basic level on Google Play Store. When you register with Play Points, you start with this level automatically. You earn one play point for each $1 you spend at this level. You also get double points during monthly events in books and movies and 4x points during weekly events in games.
- Silver Level: When you earn 150 play points, you reach the Silver Level. At this level, you earn 1.1 play points per $1 spent. In addition, you get 3x points during monthly events on movie and ebook rentals, while the reward points on weekly events remain the same as Bronze level.
- Gold Level: When your points increase to 600, you get to the Gold Level. Here, play points earnings increase to 1.2 per dollar. The points earned at weekly events remain the same, that is 4x. However, for monthly events, it expands to 4x. An additional benefit that you get at the Gold level is a weekly prize of 200 play points.
- Platinum Level: This is the highest level of Play Points, and you have to earn 3000 points or more to reach this level. You earn 4x points in weekly events and 5x points during monthly events. The points earned for every $1 spent is 1.4. Platinum level users get weekly prizes of up to 500 points, and they also get premium support on a priority basis.
Every level of Google Play Points is active for one year only. This means you will get an upgrade or downgrade on your play point level every year. It depends on the number of points you have in your account at the end of each year. For example, if you have play points between 600 and 2999 at the end of a year, you will be upgraded to Gold level and receive all the benefits for the whole year. To remain on this level next year, you will have to retain the minimum number of points, 600, before the next year starts.
The validity of points in an active Google Play Point account is one year. This means if you do not purchase anything or use and earn points, all your earned points will lapse after one year of inactivity.
How To Register for Google Play Points?
The only countries that support Google Play Points are — the U.S, Hong Kong, Japan, Taiwan, and Korea. Anyone who has a Google account and uses Google Play Store under parent control can sign up for the Google Play Points.
Signing up for Google Play Points is free and easy. All you need is a device that supports Google Play Store. It could be your android phone or a Chromebook. Follow the following steps to get started with Play Points rewards.
- On the Play Store app, click on the hamburger icon on the top-left corner of the screen, and a menu will open.
- On the menu, click on ‘Play Points’ and then click on ‘Join For Free.
- If you have not made any purchases on the Google Play Store or haven’t filled in your payment details before, it will ask you to add one.
If you open Google Play Store on a browser, you will see the ‘Play Point’ option on the left side of the screen. After clicking on it, you can follow the same steps as above.
How and Where To Use Google Play Points?
To check and use your Google Play Points, go to the hamburger menu on the Play Store, then click on ‘Play Points’ on the menu. After that, click on the ‘Use’ tab to start using your Play Points.
You can use your Google Play Points in multiple ways. For instance, you can use Play Points when making an in-app purchase. Another standard method is to purchase Google Play Credit with Play Points. Play Points can also be put towards charity. You can choose from the listed causes to donate your Play Points to.
So, sign up with Google Play Points and earn when you spend.