What Is Bail Bonds Company?
A bail bond company or bail company is a company that helps people that have been charged with any criminal offenses to legally live outside of jail while they wait for trial in the US.
State laws usually regulate these bond companies, and here you can imagine the regulations will be entire to the next level since they will be complex. There is also a strong movement of activist and legal groups to eliminate these bail companies or maybe less support their system.
How to start a bail bonds company?
To start a bail bonds company, you need to take classes and become a licensed bail bondsman, then register a business in the state at the secretary of state website.
A bail bond company operates for the civil society working on the state-regulated laws, and provides the money to the bail-seeking accused persons. The companies set the bail bond charges on a percentage basis, and with the percentage as the amount of the bail increases, the percentage amount will be increasing too. This is recommended by the lawyers and advocates to their clients to avoid the bail companies and stops them from seeking bail bonds. The lawyers ask judges to reduce the bail amount so that the accused person does not have to go for the bail company services and ask for the money they will not get back.
Usually, the percentage of the bail company bonds ranges around 10 percent of the total amount that is to be paid as bail. This is besides the bond payments that are compulsory to pay. Moreover, Sometimes the bail bond company may ask to put the jewelry, car, or other valuable assets as collateral to secure the bail bond. The motive behind this collateral payment is that if the accused person runs away and does not appear at the hearing, the bail amount will be seized by the court. The bail bond company will seize the assets they have from the accused person; by doing this, the accused person will be bound to fulfill the court conditions.
How to become a bail bondsman?
To become a bail bondsman, you need to do the following steps:
- Stat laws of any place require you to do an apprenticeship before becoming licensed as a bail bondsman. 1- Complete one-year apprenticeship. During the apprenticeship, you should learn to perform all activities related to this business that a bail bondsman normally conducts.
- 2- For any legal business, you need to check and pass the test and take the 8 hours long class to get the license. And the license is the key to conduct your business activities quite easily.
- 3- Securing a better place for your office. The most appropriate place for this business is near t the central jail, where you can be approached easily. If needed to conduct your business into jail, you can walk and seek your customer there.
- 4- Submit your documents to the business approval with all your information in just case to be working as a legal person for this business. Every state has different rules so that you can apply to your own state’s rule for the business start-up of bail bonds.
- 5- Hire or partner with a bounty hunting service. Bounty hunters are the most important department in the bail bond services. They work as the support system and the backup plan as well. You need to make a permanent contract with them before starting any other program.
- 6- Now comes the staffing system. This is critical since not all people are qualified to be in this business, and to hire qualified professionals, you need to check their background first and give them the proper training.
- 7 – For this, you need to become recommendable, and becoming recommendable requires you to develop good relations with court people and other people in this circle.
For example, how to start a bail bonding company in Georgia? You need to go secretary of state website and register your business name and pay applicable fees, ranging from a couple of hundred dollars.