What is a frost line?
The Frost line or freezing depth represents the deepest point in the ground to which the groundwater in soil is expected to freeze. For example, the NYC frost line (Newyork frost line) is 50 inches.
The Frost line is a geographical term referred to as frost depth. This word refers to the level or depth of groundwater at which the water starts to freeze. This level depends on the surrounding climatic situations and the heat transfer properties in the area’s material, including soil or sources.
How deep does the ground freeze in the US?
In the US, maximum frost depth ranges from 0 to 100 inches (2.4 m) based on Federal Highway Administration Publication Number FHWA-HRT-08-057. For example, frost depth in Hawai is 0 inches while for Minnesota 80, Alaska 100 inches.
The latitude is a significant factor that affects the frost lines and is closer to the north or south poles. The Federal Highway Administration points out that frost depth ranges between 0 to 8 feet in most United States.
How deep is the frost line in Ohio?
Frost line in Ohio is deep 32 inches. In Ohio, the cold season lasts for three months, from December 2 to March 2. The average daily high temperature in Ohio is below 46°F.
How deep is the frost line in P.A.?
The frost line in Pennsylvania (P.A.) is deep 44 inches because of cold winters. Winter highs are 33°F (0.6°C) to 45°F (7.2°C), while lows in Pennsylvania register in the 19°F (-7.2°C) to 30°F (-1.1°C) range.
It is common to assume that the coldest states will have the maximum or deepest frost lines. These states include Alaska; this one has an astounding frost line of 100 inches. At the same time, it is general for the hot and humid U.S. states to possess a shallow frost line. After Alaska, Minnesota has a frost line of 80 inches, North Dakota follows it with 75 inches. The external frost line includes states like Florida and Hawaii that display 0 inches of frost lines. South Carolin and Louisiana possess 4 inches, while California and Georgia have 5 inches of frost lines.
How deep is the frost line in Michigan?
The Frost line in Michigan is deep 42 inches because from December through February, temperatures rarely break the 30°F mark, and up to 160 inches of snow can fall.
Frost lines are considered an essential base for construction and other recreational activities. This is so; if water converts from liquid to solid, the volume will increase by an estimate of 9%. This leads to the phenomenon of frost heaving, meaning the soil can move up if the groundwater freezes and inflict severe damage to the building in the process. Thus, paying heed to the frost line is crucial while building foundations or laying down sewers and pipes. They need to be made below the frost line to avoid any predicaments in the future.
Frost Line By Zipcode and State – Table
|US State||Symbol||Zip Min||Zip Max||Frost Line inches|
|Dist of Columbia||DC||20001||20039||4|
|Dist of Columbia||DC||20042||20599||4|
|Dist of Columbia||DC||20799||20799||4|
|New York (Fishers Is)||NY||6390||6390||50|
|Texas (El Paso)||TX||88510||88589||10|
Frost line by State
- The Frost line in Alaska is 100 inches.
- Frost’s line in Alabama is 6 inches.
- Frost line in Arkansas is 14 inches.
- The Frost line in Arizona is 10 inches.
- The Frost line in California is 5 inches.
- The Frost line in Colorado is 44 inches.
- The Frost line in Connecticut is 36 inches.
- Frost line in Dist of Columbia is 4 inches.
- The Frost line in Delaware is 32 inches.
- The Frost line in Florida is 0 inches.
- Frost line in Georgia is 5 inches.
- The Frost line in Hawaii is 0 inches.
- The Frost line in Iowa is 58 inches.
- Frost’s line in Idaho is 31 inches.
- Frost line in Illinois is 36 inches.
- Frost line in Indiana is 36 inches.
- Frost line in Kansas is 32 inches.
- Frost line in Kentucky is 15 inches.
- Frost line in Louisiana is 4 inches.
- The Frost line in Massachusetts is 32 inches.
- The Frost line in Maryland is 30 inches.
- The Frost line in Maine is 74 inches.
- The Frost line in Michigan is 42 inches.
- Frost’s line in Minnesota is 80 inches.
- Frost line in Mississippi is 8 inches.
- Frost line in Montana is 61 inches.
- The Frost line in North Carolina is 10 inches.
- The Frost line in North Dakota is 75 inches.
- Frost line in Nebraska is 48 inches.
- Frost line in New Hampshire is 60 inches.
- The Frost line in New Jersey is 36 inches.
- The Frost line in New Mexico is 18 inches.
- The Frost line in Nevada is 23 inches.
- Frost’s line in New York (Fishers Is) is 50 inches.
- Frost line in Ohio is 32 inches.
- The Frost line in Oklahoma is 20 inches.
- The Frost line in Oregon is 18 inches.
- The Frost line in Pennsylvania is 44 inches.
- The Frost line in Rhode Island is 38 inches.
- The Frost line in South Carolina is 4 inches.
- The Frost line in South Dakota is 64 inches.
- Frost line in Tennessee is 12 inches.
- Frost line in Texas (Austin) is 10 inches.
- The Frost line in Utah is 30 inches.
- Frost line in Virginia is 18 inches.
- The Frost line in Vermont is 60 inches.
- Frost line in Washington is 24 inches.
- The Frost line in Wisconsin is 65 inches.
- Frost line in West Virginia is 32 inches.
- The Frost line in Wyoming is 56 inches.