Many times in our lives, we may have encountered instances where we cannot go to our jobs because we are not feeling well. However, in different scenarios, we cannot write the correct words that will tell your boss about the genuineness of the situation. Because there are many fake scenarios, it can become difficult for your boss to grant you leave. This is where your communication skills come into play as to how you will let your boss know about the truth that you are telling about how you are feeling.
How to tell your boss you’re sick text message?
To write a call-in sick text message correctly, you need to begin the message with a greeting and boss name. A note should be short without details of your sickness. The best way to call in sick is to write in short one sentence about your absence and emphasize the expected returning date in the message.
At the end of the message, you need to apologize for the inconvenience caused.
You should first assess the company’s policy as to whether there is an environment of texting to your boss or not. If there is no policy in the company, you should avoid doing it not to sound unprofessional. Furthermore, you should make sure that you have that sort of relationship with your boss to text them without saying too inexperienced.
Whenever you text in sick, you should make sure to include the full details, including how many days you require off and whether you will be working online or not (given the COVID-19 pandemic). Many companies have shifted to online work.
You can let the company know exactly when you will get back to work and then wait for the appropriate response from the company.
You should keep the speech very direct and be polite in requesting you to take the day off.
You should remember the following pointers as well:
- Always do direct communication. You should make sure to contact the HR department or your supervisor yourself and do not ask any other coworker to act as a communicator for this job.
- Informing in advance: It is always better not to wait until the last minute to message the supervisor. If possible, you should give the information a night before or as much in advance. You can also send your pending tasks back to avoid inconvenience in the company because of your delaying work.
- Be brief: You should make sure that the message is not too lengthy. Most likely, you should make sure that the message is conveyed in two to three lines.
- Retain a professional attitude: While texting, you should ensure that your text does not sound too casual. Be aware of all the punctuation and grammatical errors as well.
- Follow up: if you get the reply to the message, then it is okay. However, if you do not, after waiting for a specific time, you should call and ask them if they got the text. This is because there are many cellular issues that your message might not have brought through, and it is always good to clear issues or miscommunications earlier.
- Face-to-face communication: If you have an injury or need some time off for a longer time, it is necessary to have direct contact with the HR department or your supervisor. If possible, you can have a written note from the doctor and take your reports to ensure that communication is done effectively.
Sick text message examples for one day only
“I woke up today feeling pretty badly. I should take the day off and rest up so I can come back in tomorrow. I’ll try to be on email as much as I can. Thanks for your understanding, and I’ll see you tomorrow.”
- “I feel sick today and, unfortunately, I will not be able to come to the office in person. However, James (or any other coworker’s name) has agreed to submit the pending tasks. So, hopefully, I will be present tomorrow.”
- “I am not feeling well and would ask if you would grant me a day off.”
- “I am sick with flu and fever and will be unable to work efficiently. The doctor has given me medication and asked me to rest, after which I will be doing well till tomorrow.”
- “I have been feeling a bit sick since yesterday and will need a day to rest and regain my energy. So I will come in tomorrow.”
Sick text message examples for more than a day
- “I feel bad today and, unfortunately, will not be able to come to my office in person for the next three days. James (or any other coworker’s name) has agreed to submit the pending tasks for these days. I will keep you updated about my situation.”
- “I am not feeling well and would ask if you would grant me some days off. I will visit the doctor today and update you accordingly.”
- I am sick with the flu and fever and will be unable to work efficiently this week. I will not be able to come to work tomorrow or for several days. The doctor has given me medication and asked me to rest for some days.”
- “I have been feeling a bit sick since yesterday and will need some days to rest and regain my energy. So I will come in after two days.”
Sick text message examples when you are unsure about the number of days
If you are uncertain about the number of days, you should let your supervisor know precisely about it by making sure to include this in your message. It would help if you also said you would update the supervisor, but it’s too soon to tell. Here is an example:
“I feel terrible today and, unfortunately, will not be able to come to my office in person. James (or any other coworker’s name) has agreed to submit the pending tasks for these days. I will keep you updated about my situation as I am currently unsure about how many days it will take for me to be well.”
Sick text message examples if you plan a doctor visit
If you are visiting the doctor, then you should mention this in your message as well. Here is an example of how to include a doctor visit in your notice:
“I feel under the weather today and, unfortunately, will not be able to come to my office in person for the next three days. James (or any other coworker’s name) has agreed to submit the pending tasks for these days. I will be going to the doctor today for my checkup and will update you about my situation accordingly.”
How to tell your boss you have diarrhea in a text message?
Usually, a message should be short without details of your sickness. However, you can use in text messages diarrhea synonyms such as “gastrointestinal distress,” “stomach upset,” “sour stomach.”
How to respond to an employee texting in sick?
You need to respond to an employee texting with a greeting, and you should tell in the message that you are prepared to grant X number of days to the employee. Additionally, you need to wish for quick recovery like in this example:
“Thank you for the letter. I grant you a two-day leave from Jun 13 to Jun 15. I wish you the best for a quick recovery.