The village headman or village chief represents administer an area and community leader that is often a single village. He is usually representative of the village, natural authority, mediator in disputes but often solves various problems.
Cultural traditions are significant, how will the village chief be chosen and which role they will have in the village.
Duties of a Village Chief
The main duties of a village chief are:
- In disputies (judge), mediators give recommendations but cannot force parties to stick to a resolution.
- Resolve conflict situations.
- Food problem
- Electricity problem
- Supports the villagers in education (developing initiatives )
- Supports village life, like security, hunting, gardening.
- In some cultures village chief is the spiritual leader for the community.
- The village head usually interacts with other village chiefs within the area.
- Organize regional fairs and parties
- Organize community meetings
- Overseeing events like marriages